Buyer Beware: Low Priced Loupes
There are many companies now importing surgical and dental loupes and selling them for only $200-$400. There are many of these companies out there today, most of which are one-person operations and are run on a part-time basis.
Please be aware that these companies are cutting corners in several areas of quality and service. The only advantage of these companies is their initial offering price, so if price is your only concern- go for it.
What is the difference between these $300 loupes and SheerVision loupes? How do these loupes compare?
SheerVision offers optics that are far superior to these companies because surgical loupe optics are created from many components, each of which have a cumulative effect on performance. Inferior loupes are often hard to focus and provide a very narrow view. Some also claim to have a 2.5x magnification, when the actual performance of the product is in fact much less. Plus almost all tend to be much heavier in comparison to the high-quality loupes offered by SheerVision and the other well-recognized companies in the marketplace.
Here’s what to look for when purchasing professional quality dental & surgical loupes:
- A. Optical Quality: Inferior quality loupes normally have performance limitations in the areas of field-of-view, depth-of-field, and especially weight. SheerVision loupes offer both an excellent field-of-view and depth-of-field, while also maintaining a true, undistorted peripheral view. SheerVision’s razor-sharp, edge-to-edge clarity results in a high quality loupe with extremely high-resolution optics. All SheerVision loupes are multi-coated for anti-glare, anti-fog and scratch-resistance to ensure that optical quality is always at its highest.
- B. Weight: Many of these loupes use outdated designs that are heavy, and can feel very heavy after a few hours of use. This is a very important factor to consider because if your loupes are too heavy, you won’t wear them!
- C. Working Distance Choices: Many companies offer only two working distances– often just a regular and a long size. SheerVision offers a short, regular, long, and extra-long version for each of its loupes. If you find that you are not comfortable with your new loupes (you find yourself leaning in to close or leaning too far back) then you can easily exchange them to a similar one with the correct working distance. Please note that SheerVision 2.5x loupe optics offer an outstanding 5 to 6 inches (125-150 mm) of depth-of-field, which allows you to be able to work comfortably in your favorite position(s).
- D. Frame: SheerVision’s partnership with Under Armour® Performance Eyewear ensures that SheerVision loupes are made from the highest quality frames. ArmourFusion™ frames flex and retain their shape through the toughest conditions by combining the element Titanium, which has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal known to man, with Grilamid, a durable cutting-edge thermoplastic. ArmourSight™ lens technology is 10x stronger than polycarbonate and distortion free and a three-point fit system ensures a comfortable non-slip fit. The result is ultra-lightweight, yet durable frame that won’t slip.
- E. Customized TTL Loupe Designs: SheerVision offers customized Through-the-Lens (TTL) loupes. Some other companies offer a very poor quality imported one that is not customized to you, and with a limited number of options, each of which work in just a choice of two working distances.
- F. Prescription Lenses: SheerVision offers lens prescription services to those customers that normally wear glasses. If you will wear prescription glasses to work today, you will need prescription lenses with your loupes. SheerVision can install your prescription in ALL of our flip-up and through-the-lens models.
- G. Headlights: Loupe-mounted headlights are starting to be the standard for most surgeons, dentists and dental hygienists. SheerVision headlights are very bright, featuring a high-intensity LED light source (which weighs less than one ounce) that is virtually maintenance free. With a no-name brand it is likely that you won’t be able to find a headlight down the road that will mount properly to your loupes. SheerVision headlights not only deliver a bright, crisp light; they also include a mounting clip that attaches to almost every brand of loupe.
- H. Ready-for-Use: SheerVision sets the focusing (convergence) for each of our flip-up loupes before they leave us. We do this, as we understand that it is a chore for any user to attempt to set the convergence for each barrel as is true for the low priced loupes.
- I. Convenience: You can contact us through phone, e-mail, online, or in-person through one of our distribution partners.
- J. Durability: Our partnership with Under Armour Performance Eyewear, our SureFit TTL customization system, and our well-tested flip-up hinge designs have proven to be very durable after years and years of continuous improvement. All our loupes and head lamp systems come with a warranty as well.
- K. Reliability: Make sure your supplier is stable and reputable. If they go out of business in the future and your loupes need warranty service, you will be left in the cold. SheerVision’s technical team will expedite the repair your loupes if & when that happens.
We also recommend that you take advantage of a trial-period with your new loupes. Make sure they meet your needs for performance and comfort. Again, if you can’t wear your loupes immediately and become comfortable with them during your “break in” period, then let us know and we will make sure you get a new set that you can feel great about.
Finally, if price is your key factor in making a purchase, then please consider our line of Valu-Max renewed dental loupes, surgical loupes, and headlight systems. These products all include a one-year warranty and a 30-day trial period. They are priced at a significantly lower price than our new products, and are refurbished to be as good as new. The great majority of Valu-Max loupes and headlights are ones that were returned before the end of a previous customer’s 30-day trial period, and thus SheerVision does not sell these items as new. More information on our Valu-Max items can be found here: http://www.sheervision.com/valu-max-surgical-dental-loupes-and-headlights.aspx
We believe that you should look at this purchase as an investment in your career, and should be looked at for the long run.
Please feel free to contact us by telephone or e-mail so that we can discuss your needs further and provide you with any additional information.
US/Canada Toll Free Tel: (877) 678-4247
International Tel: +1 310 265 8918